This week in US History, we’ll continue learning about the Underground Railroad, and then we’ll close out the week with a Current Events assignment
Learning Target: I can tell a story of the Underground Railroad using art.
- In Google Classroom, find Week 4 Distance Learning: Assignment 1.
- Read the graphic novel “Seeing the Light.” The purpose of this story is to give you a sense of what a graphic novel looks like, and to help you understand the role of safe houses in the Underground Railroad.
- Click on the EdPuzzle and watch the video about Frederick Douglass.
- Create your own graphic novel telling the story in the Frederick Douglass video. Your graphic novel needs to have three panels / pictures. You can use hand-drawing, Google Slides, Pic Collage, Sketchbook, or any other tool
- Submit your graphic novel by attaching the file, screenshots, or photos.
Learning Target: I can understand and discuss current events in the news.
For this assignment you have a choice.
- Go to this link and watch an episode of CNN10. (It doesn’t matter which day.)
- After watching the episode, go to this Google Form.
- On the form, summarize one story from the episode of CNN10, and then discuss how the story affects you, your family, or someone like you in another country. Your response MUST be at least three sentences long.
- Submit the form and mark the assignment complete in Google Classroom.
- Watch Friday’s edition of CNN10 (April 17).
- Come to the last half of my Friday office hours, at 11:30 a.m. on Friday. The link and password is in Google Classroom.
- Be prepared to discuss the news story. You will get credit for the assignment just for showing up and joining in the discussion.
- If you come to the discussion, you do not need to do the Google Form.
Both assignments are due Sunday, April 19, at 8 p.m.
Remember, I’ve got Zoom Office Hours on Fridays from 11-11:30 a.m. if you need help. You can also email me and set up a time if Friday’s office hours don’t work for you.